Trauma and Addiction Workshop
This 2-day workshop is intended for mental health and addiction professionals that would like to expand their knowledge base and deepen their clinical skills when working with these conditions. It includes 3 presentations: Trauma and Addiction, Addiction as Dissociation, and Trauma-Focused Counseling.
Hybrid Presentation: In-person and Webinar
When: Thursday October 1st and Friday 2, 2020
Time: 8:30-5:30pm (Registration opens at 8)
Cost: $160 (15 CASAC/CPP/CPS CEU/Renewal’s included)
(CE for LMHC, LCAT, SW…. extra $40) HERE
160 Loomis Road
Chatham, N.Y. 12037
To register/pay: HERE
Seating is limited so please register early.
(If demand is high we will move to a larger location so please let us know if you are planning on attending).
The training involves some lecture, demonstrations, and practice with your clients. This is very much an experiential training. As a part of the learning process, practicing the interventions with other participants and to be practiced on is to be expected.
Contact Adam at email@example.com
Adam O'Brien LMHC, CASAC
Adam O’Brien LMHC, CASAC is an EMDRIA certified EMDR therapist, Approved Consultant, and EMDR trainer. He is also a Ph.D. candidate in Addiction Studies. He specializes in providing these trauma resolution therapies and trauma-focused treatment for a variety of populations and is certified in Brainspotting and trained in Progressive Counting and Deep Brain Re-orienting. Adam is beginning his public presentations on Addiction as Dissociation Model i.e., how addiction fits into the trauma-informed paradigm.
- Participants will increase their knowledge on the clinical framework of phase model’s and trauma resolution, as it pertains to addiction treatment.
- Participants will increase their knowledge on applying phase models to their clinical approach with clients.
- Participants will increase their knowledge of the clinical framework and assessment of dissociation.
- Participants will increase their understanding of dissociation models to help clients coping with dissociation in addiction treatment.
- Participants will be able to identify 5 ways dissociation presents in addiction.
- Participants will increase their knowledge on clinical counseling skills and trauma-informed approaches.
- Participants will increase their knowledge when working with addictions at different stages of change.
- Participants will increase their knowledge on trauma-focused care.
- Participants will increase their knowledge on clinical theory and best practices.
- Participants will have increased knowledge on assessing dissociation.
- Participants will be educated on the variety of ways dissociation presents in the addicted population.
- Participants will be able to conceptualize dissociation to clients.
- Participants will be able to identify at least 3 different phase models.
- Participants will be able to name at least 3 similarities on how trauma and addiction manifest in client behaviors.
- Participants will apply case formulation and trauma-informed conceptualization to an existing case.
- Participants will be able to apply at least 3 trauma-focused principles to their clinical orientation.
- Participants will be able to identify at least 3 elements of trauma-focused care in their setting.
- Participants will be able to define at least 3 elements of trauma-focused care.
- Participants will be able to identify at least 3 trauma-focused elements to add to their clinical approach when working with addictions and the stages of change.
Training Location and Details
- Our setting is at 160 Loomis Road Chatham NY 12037 in rural Columbia County. This is at our Home Office so there is more information that you would need before you arrive.
- Parking is available. There will be someone to direct you where to park.
- Please bring indoor shoes/slippers if desired. We ask that you take off your shoes.
- We are not able to accommodate everyone but we are able to make most accommodations.
- Feel free to bring snacks and beverages. Coffee, tea, hot water, and water are available. Lunch is not provided. Downtown Chatham is only a 5-minute drive.
- Microwave, stovetop, and fridge are available and accessible.
- No access to public transportation.
- Cell service is sometimes limited depending on your cellular carrier. Verizon works the best. Free Wifi is available.
- Please be mindful of wearing strong fragrances, as others may have a sensitivity to them.
- We burn wood for heat so if you have an adversity to fire please let us know.
From 90, take the Taconic southbound down to Exit 99 (Chatham - Rt. 203) Head East on Rt. 203 and take the immediate left after North Bound Taconic onto South Cross Road. Then take South Cross Road to Loomis Road (First right).
We are at the top of the hill of Loomis Road on the right and there is a black mailbox and a rock marked 160.
Hotels (All listed prices are season dependent)
Airbnb is an option
Cheapest and closest ($60-80 and only miles away)
Corporate ($85-150 and 12-20 miles away)
Hudson ($100-200 and 12 miles away)
BnB and Inns ($100-300)
If all training seats are filled, we will keep a waiting list. Refunds for training fees are only available from cancellations submitted in writing two weeks or more prior to the training. If you cancel within two weeks of the training, you will be refunded half of your tuition, and the balance can be applied to a future training. Only medically documented illness or family deaths are considered as exceptions to this policy. No-shows are not eligible for refunds.